View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Explanation please

My viewer's display of this scene is rather sketchy.

It appeared that Homan perhaps hit the shooter rather solidly but it also appeared that he was going for the ball and just couldn't get that high and instead caught his arm.

The official has his 'intentional' signal before the players even come to rest.

Clark got a "T" for chest butting Homan and they shot that first. I assume the intentional foul was shot next with the ball awarded to UVA under the basket.

I can see things blew up. And that perhaps the foul (body contact) was a very solid collision. Was the contact the reason that the foul was ruled intentional? (Intentional Foul definition, 4-19-3, "if while playing the ball a player causes excessive contact with an opponent.") And of course I'm quoting NFHS rules for an NCAA game... duh. I'm assuming NCAA's definition is quite similar.

Of course I haven't seen the tone of the game leading up to this situation but everyone sure got excited over what seemed to be just a physical play between two powerful athletes.

If we had the same play... same contact... NO MELEE afterwards... and the players just got up and went on with the game. Could this have just been called a shooting foul (incidental contact rather than intentional)?

I'm thinking that the tone of the game, previous to this incident, is what caused the official to immediately come with an "intentional" signal and what likely prompted the ensuing melee.

Someone explain a little more to me what happened.