View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Interference?

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I can see the MLB point of view, but most of us are not MLB umpires. If a runner stands in the path of a ground ball hit directly at an infielder, and spreads his legs to allow the ball through, I think interference could be called, certainly at levels below professional. My rule of thumb is to wait about a quarter second to see if fielder fields the ball clean. If so, he was not confused, if he boots, I call interference. I know interference is supposed to be called immediately, but a quarter second to see if fielder was really confused is justified, IMO.
If you're calling little boy ball, I suppose that interpretation may fly. But, IMHO, when working games in which the participants shave above the shoulders, the ML interpretation should prevail.
As far as kiddy ball goes, I agree as well. Most of them are suffering from the "Deer in the headlights syndrome" as it is. The older ones for me is a different story, if as in the original sit, R2 is standing in one spot, interfering with F6 is the only thing he has on his mind. In any base/runner/out sit (excluding fly to the outfield)I can think of, he should be one of two things. Either advance or return. I'd call it as soon as I saw him spread his legs.