View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
Tonight I had a girls varsity game with the players not having much for skills. This is one of my 1st high school games of the season and compared to the 25 NAIA and D-2 women's college games that I have worked so far... the lack of skill threw me off a couple of times.... Once on this particular play I wish that I could see again.

Defensive rebound under the hoop with the shooting team bumping the girl with the ball slightly.... Or so I thought.

The girl had the ball and after the bump held her pivot foot and pivoted 3 times slowly backwards to gain / keep her ballance. On her last swing of her non pivot foot she stepped on the endline OOB.

I felt it was to late to go back and get the foul as the girl that made the contact was now getting back on D and she was behind the 3 point line... (A long ways away from the play). I blew my whistle and gave it back to the same team.

As you would imagin the crowd and the coach sure didn't like the call. After a bit of play there was a time out and I waited for the team to come out after the huddle and I explained that I had passed on a foul. She ( the coach) was fine with it after I had a chance to explain.

Here is my question......... What would you have done? Called the foul? Or.... Pass on the foul and give it back to the same team? or..... Call the OOB and give it to the other team? I really didn't feel that the "bump" was enough to have a foul but as it played out......... It was an advantage. Whats your call?