Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by ronny mulkey
I believe these 2 principles:

1. You cannot establish team control without player control AFTER a throwin

2. Team control is established when the ball is caught AFTER a throwin.

My question is WHERE exactly in the rulebook does it state this? Everybody I've asked about this, refers to 4.12.2. That rules refers to player control but it also refers to "live ball being passed between teammates". When you look at the defintition of a PASS, it uses the word "BAT".

Anyway, to make a long story shorter:

A1 passes to A2 who is standing in frontcourt
A2 BATS the ball to A3 standing in the backcourt
A2 is batting (passing) the ball to his teammate
If A2 is passing, he has established team control
If you have team control then you have a backcourt play.

Normal ruling on this play is based on that A2 never had player control so it would not be a backcourt violation. But, if team control could be established because of a pass (not bat) then this would be a backcourt violation. Which, takes me back to my original 2 questions.
Player control in the front court is not needed for a backcourt violation. Once team control is established, the ball only needs to gain front court status by touching either the court or a player in the front court. Team control is established as you say it is, however, it doesn't end until either team B gains team control or Team A attempts a try at goal. Therefore, when A2 bats the ball in the front court, the ball gains front court status and team A still has team control.
IOW, to address your individual points.
A1 establishes team control when he holds it. He loses player control, but team control continues throughout this entire play.
This is a backcourt violation regardless of whether A2 has player control.
Correct me if I am wrong but if A1 is the thrower in there is no team control. Therefore, there is no backcourt violation.