View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

So that I render an appropriate response to one of our officials who made the inquiry, I'd like to gather input from the board on his question of me:

Under Federation Rules, a varsity coach chose to stand behind the bench during the match - leaving the 2 assistant coaches on the bench to play a more active role (e.g. - they were the ones to request T.O.'s/subs). The official asking for the interpretation indicated that the coach had "spoken with the state's Rules Interpreter" who purportedly indicated this behavior would not constitution a sanction. (I was not able to confirm that yet - but I have my doubts - the state assn rules interpreter and I have never disagreed with each other).

So, my position would be under Fed. Rule 12-2-5, "coaches shall remain SEATED on the bench during the game except to: [and in this scenario - none of the exceptions is met].
Further, after preventive officiating to rein the coach back to their seat fails, I would look to Rule 12-2-7(k), which lists "Illegally leaving the designated bench during the game" as unsportsmanlike conduct - per se.

*This coach is widely recognized as exceptional good, and I believe even coaches at the collegiate level (although even under NCAA Rule 5-2-4a coaches may stand directly IN FRONT OF... their bench). Anything I may have missed on this before I respond to our official?

** And yes, you may have noted - we are still playing HS VB here in Michigan for what may be the last winter - pending a decision from the US Supreme CT.

Brian