Thread: First Game
View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SP Ref
I would like to hear from someone about their first game. Mine was yesterday. I have played the game for over 30 years, coached youth teams and officiated rec games. Yesterday was the worst day of my basketball life. Trying to get the sequence of call was killing me. Arm up, signal direction etc... Tell me it gets better, soon?!

Thanks
Work on the basics. Initially concentrate on blowing the whistle raising your arm fully extended and signaling either violation or foul. Check with your partner to make sure you're doing it every time. When for example red knocks the ball out of bounds say white take your time and point. If you do point to red everyone heard you say white simply point in whites direction thus correcting your call.
If you forget which way the teams are going (I gurantee you will) simply look to the bench where they are sitting this will help remind you.

Try not to watch the ball (I gurantee you will want to do this) when it's not your primary area. Be sure to tell your partner that you're a newbie and don't be offended by what they say after the game. If you miss a call (we all do) forget about it and get it right next time. Above all have fun.

Good luck and have a great season.