View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by wolfen
Endline Throw in-GJV Team A running of time so A1 throws the ball pretty hard at B1-hits her knee and goes OOB. My question Is there any level of force in this sitch that justifys a foul ? i called OOB on B but was a little uncomfortable with A throwing the ball at B like that . At the extreme could A throw the ball and hit B in the face-doesn't seem right to me .... Thanks for input.
When it's clear that A1 was just trying to buy herself another 5 seconds, it's oob off B, as you did. A1 can accomplish a fair amount of damage unintentionally, and still have a no-call. But if it's VERY clear that A1 is trying to deliberately do harm, you could conceivably call a flagrant personal foul, as though it was the beginning of a fight. In your situation, if A1 had thrown the ball in B1's face, I'd lean pretty far toward the flagrant. The goal of buying an oob off B is much more easily achieved off the foot or leg. Throwing the ball off the face seems pretty hostile. When the ball is in play on the floor, and an A player causes contact between the ball and a defender but there's no body contact, you can't call any foul except a technical, which could be flagrant if you chose. It can't be a personal foul since there's no contact. You could justify a technical if there's clearly an unsportsmanlike aspect to the play. It would be a tough sell, I think, but it's there if worse comes to worst.