View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 08:11pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

We always maintain professionalism to include that while sitting in the stands watching a game we are to not make comments on the officiating, and for that matter, the coaching or playing.

Is it unreasonable to think that other adults, known as coaches, could also have a professional approach that includes not commenting on other teams' players, coaches, and the officials in the game that they're watching?

I should hope not: it is not unreasonable. After all, these are people who are shaping the behavior of the kids playing the game. Just as a game is not about the officials, it is not about the coaches either.

Mr. Fanboy should feel that he has compromised his personal integrity and lowered his stock with actions such as being kicked out of a game. Even if he has built an amazing program that is the best across 3 states.

If he's in the stands, he is not a coach: he is a fan. He is still not above the game. If he acts in a manner in which ejection is deemed necessary, then the ejection is necessary. I don't care if he is Lenny Wilkens or Phil Jackson.

After the jurisdiction of the officials is over (either leaving the visual confines of the playing area, or further as dictated by state or local tournament adoption) I fail to see how that person can be denied entry into the gym again, whether to watch or coach.

Do the JV officials have the right to tell the V crew that Mr. Fanboy was ejected in the JV game? Of course they do.

If a rule exists that precludes Mr. Fanboy from coaching in that next game, can the V crew decide to not allow him to coach in that game, based on the information provided by the JV crew? Of course, and they should enforce that rule.

It's a rather easy scenario to administer.