View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do non-CIS school (minor or high school) use non-Canadian rules?
Once you get into BC:

CIS and CJFL use the Canadian community rules (same as the rest of Canada)

Community Ball uses Canadian community rules

Highschool (11&12) uses Federation (American highschool) rules

Jr. Varsity (9&10) uses Federation rules

Grade 8's use Federation rules

I've heard a lot of reasons why the highschools have gone with federation ball and it always involves the phrase, "years and years ago when [ubc/sfu] started...blah blah blah" Simon Fraser was playing against Jr. Colleges from the pacific northwest up until they joined CIS 5 (or so) years ago. Highschools will never change to Canadian tho - they've built their facilities for the smaller fields and the cost would be enormous.

Interesting note - once upon a time we used to use Southern California rules (that goes back 15 years or so before my time) but the membership of our associations were listed in the rule book.

If we're having a Canadian discussion I'll use Canadian terminology. When talking Federation I'll use Federation terminology. It helps me keep the two games straight. In case you're curious, I view the two games as two sepearate sports that just happen to use the same equipment (and yes, I WH each of them)

I would love to do some ball south of the border to see how we're doing compared to the rest of the Ntl. Federation world.

[Edited by cdnRef on Dec 9th, 2004 at 07:15 PM]