View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Smitty,

I guess it just boils down to:
1. If he's on the bench, whack him with a direct T, plus an indirect to the head coach.
2. If he's in the stands as a spectator, ignore it unless it gets too disruptive, then ask game management to handle it.
3. In either case, make a written report to the commissioner & let him do the follow-up.

I'm sure it's not the first time the coach has done this, and if a documented pattern starts to emerge it can only help you and your fellow officials in the future. My wife's an RN, and they have a saying in the medical profession - "If it isn't written down, it didn't happen." In otherwords, document everything.

I had something similar last night at Happyrock - JV boys game & one of the varsity coaches was several rows up from the bench making obnoxious comments - I chose to ignore him & went about my business. In the locker-room after the game one of the officials for the varsity game told me he overheard a couple of the comments and asked if I had heard them - I told him yes, but chose to ignore them & why. He agreed with my reasoning, but also said he didn't like the coach's attitude & was going to keep him on a very short leash during the varsity game. This morning I fired off a short, quick email to the commish just to put in writing what a jerk the varsity coach was during the JV game.
Sheez, Smitty one night, Tim Taylor the next. Do you suppose it's in our water?? Do I want to work tonight?!? I guess it'll be okay, since I now know how to handle it.