Thread: 4-19 Question
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
4-19-9 "A simultaneous foul (personal or technical) by opponents is a situation in which there is a foul by both teams which occurs at approximately the same time, but are not committed by opponents against each other."

What are your thoughts now?
My 4-19-9 does not say "(personal or technical)." It only says technical and therefore I don't believe it is applicable to this situation.

One of the fouls occurred first and therefore created a dead ball. Now go to 4-19-1 and its note. B1 fouls A1 during shot therefore (per the note, this cannot be ignored and) the appropriate free throws must be awarded based upon the outcome of A1's try (successful - one shot; unsuccessful - two shots). Your case, two shots.

If the officials decide B1's foul of A1 was first then I think A2's foul is ignored. If they feel A2's foul occurred first then both are reported (false multiple, 4-19-11?)... and if Team B is in the bonus, I guess Team B would shoot for A2's foul (with the lane cleared) and then A1 would shoot his two shots for B1's foul - with a live ball to follow.

Everyone will be confused by now so let anyone else that wants to shoot have a couple shots also. Take one for yourself! Your points go to the losing team. Then go to the arrow to resume play.

Obviously, it would be less confusing if the officials can decide the shooting foul committed by B1 was first and that A2's foul can be ignored.

Heaven help the poor soul that finds themself in this situation.