View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

I had an unusual situation in a JV game I worked last night. Both teams had their rosters in the scorebook 20 minutes before the start. However, neither coach marked their starters. In fact, both coaches did not return to the court until almost game time. One came out at 4 minutes, and the other came out with a minute and a half to go until tip. This was the first game of the night, so there were no obstacle to keep either team from having their starters in at the 10 minute mark. At about 9 minutes, I went and checked the book. Since neither team had any starters marked, I gave both of them team technical fouls. However, since neither coach was there I had to wait to notify them when they arrived for the start of the game. Both coaches were very upset. One said he didn't know the rule. The other coach has been a ref for several years and just started coaching this year. So she was clearly aware of the rule.

Since the game had not started and we had not established possession, we started with a jump ball. I did not make either team shoot free throws as I ruled that it was a double technical. The varsity official who was there early for the next game said that we should have shot free throws, and that we should not have had a jump ball. I have had this situation occur with one team not having starters marked, but this was the first time I have had it on both teams. How could I have established possession without a jump ball? Should both teams have really shot their free throws?

In addition, he says that he would not have given either team a technical since neither team had their starters marked. Did I really handle this the wrong way?