View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 01:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowStripes
If a coach points out that he or she is being relegated to second class facilities, common sense justice (which, unfortunately, fails to exist in most cases these days) from my athletic director's office would dictate the following: Whoever draws the higher attendance and higher concession sales during the season gets first crack at the bigger gym for practice.
The fact that this is clearly illegal wouldn't matter to you?
It matters to me.

I don't enjoy working girls games as much as boys games -- I'll admit that right away. But I do work them and give them every bit of effort as the guys get from me.

Separate but equal is 19th century law (Plessy v Ferguson) that was found unconstitutional in the 1950s (Brown v Board of Education).

There is no doubt that playing girls' basketball in the fall relegates the girls to second-class status based solely on their gender. How the MHSAA can even think that this is a good idea and helps anyone is beyond me.

If 48 states can play simultaneous seasons so that nobody feels disadvantaged, so can Michigan. It's members are public schools, so they are a quasi-public organization and should expect to have to follow Federal law.