Thread: Appeals
View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 04, 2004, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Did a game today, had a weird play and then a coach arguing about appealing.

The play was on a caught fly ball, runner returning to tag the base and the throw goes to that base. Defensive team screams its a force (which it is) but the runner beat the ball to the base, therefore, she's safe.

Coaches want an appeal, but we won't grant it because it is a judgment call.

Between innings he comes to me and gives the famous line, "one umpire to another, you have to appeal that."

I explained to coach that he wasn't asking for anything we could appeal. I attempted to give examples of ball/strike, force out at first base, etc., as being similar situations that could not be appealed, but he kept coming up with excuses. I even tried to give him reasons my partner and I could have gotten together. Was he appealing for the umpire being blocked out, the sun was in his eyes, did he fell down, etc? (Basically, anything that he could have used to get us together to talk over the play--and all appealable situations--unlike the out call he didn't like) All he kept coming back to was that we must appeal whenever he asks.

So, my question is this: Would anyone have made the appeal? Would anyone "walk the coach through" what he could appeal? I mean, according to the coach, he's been umpiring forever and coaching forever (baseball) so he could give us a umpiring clinic. Or would anyone just tell him to be quiet, the play was over, and that was that? Just curious.

[Edited by FUBLUE on Dec 4th, 2004 at 09:00 PM]