View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Smile I agree...

So much depends on your experience and confidence and how much confidence the coaches and players have in your abilities. When I was a younger official I used to admire one official who was the best around. He was the kind of official that was excellent for younger officials to work with because he had the ability to work with the new guys but if they did not want to get involved he would work the game by himself. A strong partner is the key to your success so it is important that you are strong for your partner. Your partner will determine when it is time to reach into his territory and the feedback you get from everyone in the gym will determine if it is the right thing to do. Two wrongs don't make a right so if it is there in most cases the kids and the coaches expect it to be called and they don't care who's area it is in. If a coach argues an obvious call that you made because it is not in your area well too bad. There will be calls that you make that will be much worse than that call. And then there is always the replay and if the replay says it is the right call to make and your partner did not make the call then your evaluator should be questioning your partners position or judgement and not yours. I personally love the replay because it just reinforces what we as officials already know!!