View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19
I think MTD's situation is straight-forward. You have to T that coach who comes out on the floor.

Ref Daddy's situation isn't as clear. My initial reaction is similar to rainmaker's: if that coach stays out of bounds and helps up his player who falls right along the sideline in front of him, no reason to get involved in that.

But I've started thinking: what if a coach stays completely out of bounds, but helps up a tripped up player just in time for that player to catch a pass? Does that make the "help" different?
I think in your situation 7-1-1 may apply.

A player causes the ball to be OOB if that player touches the floor or ANY object other than another PLAYER that is OOB. I'm reading that as floor, benches, chairs, officials (we are considered part of the floor), and BENCH PERSONNEL.

So if coach is touching his player and the coach is OOB when the ball is there then the player is OOB. I like having that option versus trying to judge the coaches intent.

Now if the help clearly occurred BEFORE the player caught the pass, you are stuck. If I see the entire play and it looks like the coach is aware that the pass is coming and aides the player, I'm leaning toward a T, but that's going to require something like the coach yelling, "Hurry, get up," while he's helping up the player.