View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Second question. I know this is a technicality, but I want to know how it works. If a player comes over to me as I am the trail official when his teammate is shooting the 1st of two FT's and says "if he makes the 2nd one, we want a TO" does he have to tell me after the 2nd make, or is his asking before the 2nd is ever attempted an allowable request. Like I said, I know it is technicality, I was going to give it to him, of course he missed, but I didn't know if by rule it was correct to do so. Can't really find it in the book.
--------------------------------------------------

This was brought up at our rules interpretation meeting. The point was made to tell them to ask you for the TO when they want it. Your example was given, among other examples, and we were told to say something like, "Okay. If he makes the 2nd one, I'll look at you and you tell me you want a TO." The interpretor's point was that anything could happen between the "first" request and the actual request.

I had another TO scenario in a scrimmage. Team A is bringing the ball up the floor - I'm Trail. As I pass B's bench, Coach B says, "When it's our ball I want a TO". Play continues, Team A scores...I turn to Coach B and say, "You want it?" He says yes and I blow the whistle.