Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 12:03am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
My partner is convinced that since it looked like he was going to shoot when the foul occured, then he gets 2 FT's even if he decides to pass. Now if he never got the shot off at all, or if he tried, or kind of shot it towards the goal, then 2 FT's for sure. Need some opinions on this one.
This is what we get paid the big bucks for -- judgment. If you think he was intending to shoot, and the foul made him change his mind, then he gets two shots. If you think he was intending to pass, it's oob. I personally decided a long time ago to always give the benefit of the doubt in these cases. If there's any chance the player was shooting, I call it a shooting foul. The other coach won't like it -- till it goes his way.

On the other hand, it's hard to claim a pass is a shot.

If A1 drives towards the basket, is fouled and kicks the ball out I can't see myself giving him 2 shots. If he puts it up or is prevented from putting it up I can plead my case and send him to the line.

If he kicks it out...he aint going to the line.
Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Second question. I know this is a technicality, but I want to know how it works. If a player comes over to me as I am the trail official when his teammate is shooting the 1st of two FT's and says "if he makes the 2nd one, we want a TO" does he have to tell me after the 2nd make, or is his asking before the 2nd is ever attempted an allowable request. Like I said, I know it is technicality, I was going to give it to him, of course he missed, but I didn't know if by rule it was correct to do so. Can't really find it in the book.
As soon as they tell you they're going to call it, you tell them to just stand there, and then as the ball is passing through the basket, you turn and glare at him, until he says the magic words. Because technically, yes, he needs to say it again. It's good to encourage them to play as close to the letter of the law as possible.
Uhhhmmmmm...well, yeah, sure, by the book and all but of course if the coach sez "Dan I want a timeout on the make" I'm not going to make him ask again. Same goes for a player on the floor.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Dan, buddy - gotta disagree with you on both counts. If the player is fouled after he "begins the continuous motion that usually leads to a shot" and he is fouled while still in that motion, he gets the shooting foul no matter what happens next, since the foul occurred during the shooting motion and that's the test for a shooting foul.

As to the timeout, I tell them to request it when they want it. What happens if the other team yells for a timeout as soon as the free throw goes through? Who gets charged with it if you don't make them request it at the proper time?