View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
Curious but not trying to disrespect.

Have your assignors offered you any guidance on this particular topic and how they want it called?

Have you ever experienced this type of action?

Do you understand the logic behind the argument based on the safety issue or prevention management?
Here's an answer from an assignor that also takes has to take complaints:
1) I would never dream of telling any of my officials to ever call a foul when there was no physical contact present. There is simply no rules basis to do so.
2) If I received a complaint from a coach that one of my officials was calling personal fouls without physical contact, and the official acknowledged that was correct, I doubt very much that I would ever assign that official to any game higher than maybe Grade 6. I can tell you that our evaluators would make the same suggestion to me also.
3) Yes, I've had players get mad when they got cleanly facialed. I tell them honestly why no foul was called- i.e. it was a clean block. If their egos won't accept that,then you have a coaching problem instead of an officiating problem imo.
4) No, I certainly do not understand the logic behind calling something a foul that isn't. Safety and prevention management are non-factors completely, again imo.

Can't agree at all with you on this one, Rob. There's judgement involved as to how much physical contact that you're gonna allow out there on any call, but there's no judgement involved at all when there's no physical contact present at all. It's just not a foul.