Re: Re: Re: Clean but violent block

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
Quote:
Originally posted by BBall_Junkie
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
I've been told that if a player blocks a shot from behind, that I should call a foul if it is a violent tomahawk style block, even if they get all ball.
No way. If the defender gets "all ball" and no contact is made, I don't care what he did to get "all ball" it is not a foul. This is a fundamental of basketball... a foul can only occur if contact is made (just like you can't travel while dribbling). Who ever is giving out that advice needs to stop giving advice.
BBJ what is a violent block if it is not a foul?

Here our training has touched on hard fouls and specifically the violent foul such as the push from behind or the tomahawk chop. Anytime a player "winds up" from his waist level to tomahawk the ball it should be called a foul. The examples used were:
  • B1 tomahawk blocks the shot of A1 getting all ball but so violently that the ball is driven into the face of A1 as a result of the force of the otherwise clean block.
  • As a preventative measure (read as deterrent) to avoid injury as most often the violent chop/push results in contact that is severe.
I really do not have a problem calling these fouls especially when put into the perspective of preventative officiating and avoiding escalation of actions that could bring things to a fever pitch. Have you ever had to deal with the retaliation or the follow-up violent foul by the opposite team, the so-called 'payback'? Have you ever worked a game where the violent foul no-call nearly causes a riot?

As officials we hate to go against our partners in a game but once in a while you have the proverbial "Oh Sh*t!" no-call where your partners pass or miss on a call so terribly (i.e. bodies on the floor due to violent contact) that someone has to save the crew with a whistle albeit late....that someone will be me. [/B]
Your kidding right? First of all the other poster said a "violent tomahawk chop block (read: blocked shot), when he gets "all ball". If he gets all ball, by definition you can't have a foul. I don't care how it is done. \

Now, that being said he better get "all ball" with that style of blocked shot attempt. If there is any contact what-so-ever it is a foul.

I am all for preventive officiating and these are plays we need to stay on top of. If I have this play and it is a clean block, I stay right with those players and get in between them if I have to to settle things down... that is preventative as well and doesn't have to be calling a foul when one doesn't exist.

To answer your example of a person takes a big swipe at the ball and the ball goes into the other players face and it is all ball, no foul... that falls into the category of "stuff happens" for that player. Again, you may need to stay with those players for a while and keep your eye on them for a few trips up and down the court.