Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Clean but violent block

Quote:
Originally posted by BBall_Junkie
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
I've been told that if a player blocks a shot from behind, that I should call a foul if it is a violent tomahawk style block, even if they get all ball.
No way. If the defender gets "all ball" and no contact is made, I don't care what he did to get "all ball" it is not a foul. This is a fundamental of basketball... a foul can only occur if contact is made (just like you can't travel while dribbling). Who ever is giving out that advice needs to stop giving advice. [/B]
BBJ what is a violent block if it is not a foul?

Here our training has touched on hard fouls and specifically the violent foul such as the push from behind or the tomahawk chop. Anytime a player "winds up" from his waist level to tomahawk the ball it should be called a foul. The examples used were:
  • B1 tomahawk blocks the shot of A1 getting all ball but so violently that the ball is driven into the face of A1 as a result of the force of the otherwise clean block.
  • As a preventative measure (read as deterrent) to avoid injury as most often the violent chop/push results in contact that is severe.
I really do not have a problem calling these fouls especially when put into the perspective of preventative officiating and avoiding escalation of actions that could bring things to a fever pitch. Have you ever had to deal with the retaliation or the follow-up violent foul by the opposite team, the so-called 'payback'? Have you ever worked a game where the violent foul no-call nearly causes a riot?

As officials we hate to go against our partners in a game but once in a while you have the proverbial "Oh Sh*t!" no-call where your partners pass or miss on a call so terribly (i.e. bodies on the floor due to violent contact) that someone has to save the crew with a whistle albeit late....that someone will be me.