View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Good call (IMO). I did see the entire game and this specific play as I watched the game with my usual "referee mentality".

As the play was properly described above, I agreed with the call simply because of the tomahawk motion used by B1 to attempt to swat at the ball from behind. This was a clearcut breakaway and although B1 made up a lot of ground to even have a chance at blocking the shot he was too late in getting there, did not have a LGP, and short of flat out grabbing A1 tried to intentionally foul to prevent the bucket. Yes, A1 did slow up at the last second in what appeared to be an attempt to draw contact but the ensuing contact was more than a blocked shot attempt by B1.

In real-time the play looked worse than the replay's.

In fact, this was a double whistle, too. The Lead official made the foul call but the Trail came in with the view of intentional; after an extremely brief chat with the Trail, the Lead went with the intentional foul call.