View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

This is interesting to me because I worked 7th and 8th grade girl's games last night with a partner I'd never had before. He's new and in his 2nd year. He missed every charge/block in both the games (badly I might add). One poor girl had been set in the lane for about 4 seconds and got steamrolled. He also had lots of mechanics errors... like never "chopping the clock" (OK Nev, let me have it for the terminology), never had a closely guarded five second count, blew the whistle on every inbounds, stood at the scorer's table the entire time on every time out, set up in the wrong place when I was administering the free throws...

I didn't say anything about the block/charges because that's often the hardest call we make and I couldn't overturn it anyway. Also, can you imagine some rabid mother or father going crazy over that?

After the game I was going to try to give him a few pointers about mechanics, but he was so excited about the game and obviously felt so good about it I just kept quiet. I might have said something if I had known him better. We're in different states (I'm licensed in 2)and he's a part of another state's regional association. I hope some of them will help him.

What would some of you have you have done?