View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
For the second weekend now, I worked a rec basketball tournament. This one was called the "Thanksgiving Classic," and I sure did put the "T" in Thanksgiving. In the first game of the tournament (I did eight over Saturday and Sunday). I gave out 6 T's. I'm looking for a little feedback over that game.

Situation: 7th grade boys, evenly matched and pretty good basketball game up until this point. My partner kept whistling my lines, which was aggravating, but not a huge deal. Then Coach A, who has been chirping and waving his arms all game, gets a warning from me. A few seconds later I call a foul on his team and he grabs his hat off his hand and throws it to the ground. Technical 1. I take a few steps to go report the foul, and the coach gives me the finger. Technical 2. We continue the game, and about 4 minutes later, player A gets fouled (not that hard, just a bump) on the sidelines by player B. B starts to walk away and A wheels and throws the basketball at the back of his head. Flagrant technical. We finish the first half and partner says to me at halftime "I'm not sure if I would have called those technicals. I've never even called a technical, and I've been refereeing for 14 years." I was a little shocked, to put it mildly.

The second half wasn't much better. A player on A steps out of bounds and I call it. Still a close game. He yells "F*ck you" at me. Technical 4. Then he spits at me (fortunately it wasn't very accurate). Technical 5. A few minutes later, Assistant Coach A (now the head coach) asks for a timeout when they have the ball and I grant it. Then he takes a few steps out on the court, clapping, and says "Good call. That's your best one this half!" Technical 6. A few minutes later, a player from team A gets down on hands and knees and crawls across the lane and barks. I had no idea what he was doing, so I just left that alone. By this point, Team B has pulled in front and they win the game. I didn't have a problem for the rest of day. Then on Sunday, I worked with one of my regular partners, all 3 games were fine. The tournament had teams from 3 different leagues, and officials from all 3, which is why I think my partner for Saturday and I were on such different pages.

Looking back on the fiasco that was the first game Saturday, I'm hoping to learn a little something from it. Would you have given out T's for those? What could I do differently (better) in the future?
As described every one of those Ts were well deserved.
As for you partner, he needs to find a new hobby.
I have always said; "if you don't have the balls to make the call get off the court."
From the sound of it, he needs to get a plumber to check his equipment.

Sorry you had to have a game like that but they do happen.