View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I was watching a Varsity boys tournament this holiday weekend. I noticed alot of moving screens going on under the basket. Team A runs a play, one of the players of team A gets caught on a screen and runs directly out of bounds under the backboard. He then returns to the court behind the 3pt line in the cornor of the court, receives the ball and drains a 3 pointer. The player of team A ran out of bounds right next to the lead official. No call. They ran this play several times with the player running out of bounds then receiving the ball for the 3pt shot. Still no call. The coach of team B was going nuts. The 3 man team ignored the coach and the violation.

After the game I was able to visit with the officials and asked them about the no call. They responed with, He did not go out of bounds far enough to inpact the play.

I was wondering as I start my varsity season this friday night, does the rules state the limit a player can run out of bounds and still not be considered a violation? I thought the rule stated you must stay inbounds and can not run out of bounds to avoid a 3 second call or to avoid a screen. Please advise, I do not want to get caught with my whistle in my throat. The officals I talked to have been doing varsity basketball for years. I thougt I could learn something from them, but now I am just confused