View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 01:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Clever and witty are usually gas on the fire. What I have done is to listen for about three sentences, look the person right in the eye, say "Thank you" pleasantly and then turn and walk quickly away. Where I usually watch a game from is directly benind the score table. If someone like this is bothering you, sit closer to the home bench. Generally if there's a stat person there, they can find a game administrator for you.
I disagree with you Juulie. Not because you are not partly right, but that might not fit everyone's personality. I probably would make a smart *** comment without the person realizing it was a smart *** comment. That is my personality. If someone wants to come up to me, inside the gym to talk about my officiating I probably would say something. You have to read the situation and where you are at and the way the person is approaching you. Are they angry? Are they sarcastic? Are they trying to preach with an audience? All those things can factor in for me.

I also think that that GM in this situation might have been caught off guard here. I would not blame them because this guy was a jerk. They did not tell the guy to approach you. He cannot follow you around all game long to make sure no one says anything. You just have to prepare yourself for people approaching you from time to time in these situations. If you work tournaments or summer league games, this is going to happen more than you think. You have to figure out way to get out of it. But I think just not saying anything is not always the best thing. Sometimes they just want to get a rise out of you and if you ignore their statement they might get more upset.

Just my two cents on the issue.

Peace