View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 27, 2004, 04:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

All I know is what the guys teach us in our area.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
It's a very widespread issue. I've seen it a number of times this season in college games on TV, in local college games where I've worked the chains, as well as locally and on TV HS games. There were two today in the 1st quarter of the Bayou Classic.

If a foul that effects the play occurs, a flag needs to be thrown and the proper call made. We've gotten so concerned about not throwing too many flags that we're ignoring obvious fouls. The game has to be officiated. Some of us need to grow some balls.
You might be right Tony, but the games I see in my region of the country, I see a lot of 15 yard facemask calls. Now maybe the philosophy is different in other parts of the country. Around my area we were told, "When in doubt call the PF." Now that is what I see in the Big Ten (where I many members of my association are working) and even in the NFL games I actually see. Unfortunately I do not see that many NFL games during the football season so I cannot honestly tell you what is typical. I am sure there are conferences or areas of the country that do not take that philosophy toward giving a PF, just like where official might decide to put their flags on their uniform or stand on the wings. I have even called a PF on the runner when they are tying to make a stiff arm and grab the defender's facemask instead. That is why I say it is probably a regional issue as related to a national one. Because when I do watch college football for example, I do see different philosophies used as it relates to certain penalties. One conference may be heavy on calling roughing the passer. Another might use a very specific philosophy towards substitution infractions. Other might not be heavy on either and use a totally different philosophy than what I just stated. I just know what we are taught here in the Midwest and what the conferences in these areas seem to support. I see a lot of 15 yard FM calls in when I watch officials in this region of the country.

Peace