View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19
Since the original post was to Whitlock's article, let me observe that Whitlock did *not* say that the incident itself occurred because of race. He suggested that Stern's response to the incident was informed by race and culture considerations. Although I agree that, as a general matter, Whitlock is more ready to see race in situations than I am, I am not ready to dismiss his observations altogether. Whitlock wrote: "We're witnessing a clash of cultures. A predominately white fan base is rejecting a predominately black style of play and sportsmanship."
There was not cultural consideration as to why a fight took place. Maybe the way certain individuals would respond has some issues of culture involved, but we live in a society that makes fans they say and behave in any way, shape or form because they are a fan and pay money to attend the games. And we are in a culture that makes radio hosts say just about anything about a human being that because he cannot hit a home run with the bases loaded when we want them to.

Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19
Another forum participant suggested that sportsmanship has no color. On this point, I tend to agree more with Whitlock. I think there are differences in "sportsmanship" -- while I should also quickly point out that many differences cannot be, and should not be, explained by race. Sportsmanship, to me, is about showing respect for the game, for your opponent(s) and for yourself (collectively, as a team, and individually). I recognize that there are differences in what this means. Can the exuberance that an athlete shows for a good play s/he made cross the line and show disrespect? I think so. Can exuberance be "innocently intended" and not meant for disrespect? I think so.
Let's take the codes out of what you are saying. Are you telling me that Black inner city kids have a lack or respect for the game? And the suburban kid with the money is respectful and respects the game more? What are you saying here?
[/B]
I agree that we live in a society that supports and encourages a poor fan culture. And I agree - if that is what you were suggesting - that it is that culture which had the most to do with the fight in Detroit.

I apologize if it appeared that I was talking in codes; I meant to be clear but apparently did not succeed. I am NOT suggesting that Black inner city kids have a lack of respect for the game or that wealthy suburban kids are more respectful. Absolutely not. What I mean to suggest is that "respect" can mean different things to different people. And, as I said in my original post, "race" cannot be used to explain much of these differences. "Culture," I think, is much more instructive. (E.g., Jason Williams and Randy Moss, if memory serves me, grew up in the same area).

I do not think one display of sportsmanship is inherently "better" than another display, even if I - by virtue of my own upbringing and cultural influences - prefer certain displays over others. I was trying to argue for a degree of tolerance; let us recognize that someone else can be demonstrating respect, or attempting to do so, even as we might disagree. I hope that tolerance extends to this forum, as I am attempting to learn and grow, even as I might disagree with others and they might disagree with me.