View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 09:17pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Of course it's a racial issue. You have black players (What is it now, 80-90% of the NBA?) and a white audience paying the bills. You can't expect black players to be lily white in their expression. So.......it's a matter of how much the audience likes what they see and will pay for. If you don't like the behavior, don't pay to see em play, don't watch em on TV and don't buy your kid a jersey. If you think they are overpaid, illiterate thugs, then don't give em any of your money. I gave up watching that brand of basketball years ago. If I paid any of their salary, I'd have no right to *****. It's a matter of "market value."

Have a great day in the USA where we have choices of how we spend our money.
I'm not saying that you mean this but it is sad that some might think that black and illiterate go together. Again, I'm not saying anyone here has said this but we all know some people think this way.
Bgtg19, please don't try to disguise what you are trying to say by using big words and what you must think are complex sentences. As JR pointed out, it didn't work. You are right, timeouts aren't the only problem and I do not condone child abuse. However, spanking is in the good book (I don't want to start on religion) and it has always been strange to me how some use that book when they want to and dismiss it when it doesn't fit their need. That is another subject all together. Like I was saying, I do agree with you to some extent but "back in the day" we didn't have some of the problems we have today. I have always found it interesting that my grandmother didn't need a "professional" to raise 12 kids but now everyone does? It also seems like for everything wrong with kids there is a diagnosis and a pill. When did this start and did these things exist and go untreated when my mother was a kid?

As far as a clash of cultures, let's go back in time. If I remember correctly blacks used to use the word "cool" and it was slang. Who uses it now? Everyone! Blacks used to wear (started) baggy jeans and baseball hats backwards and it was a big no-no. Who does these things now? Everyone! Blacks used to be the only rappers and be the only supporters of rappers. I think Eminem just set some kind of record for sales and guess who purchased the CD? Everyone! Haven't we learned anything from George Washington Carver? The culture displayed was original, is dynamic and will be emulated. Take TO for instance, love him or hate him he is entertaining AND GOOD! Funny how I never heard the "alternative culture" blamed for those kids shooting up that high school in Colorado. Things that make you go..............