Thread: Fighting
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

I had a funny incident that happened this year during a game. We, too, have a hands off policy, but this kid is tackled and goes down after which he starts writhing and holds his leg up. "Ref, stretch me out - I've got a cramp!" he says as me and the R look at each other. The R is closer so he just puts his hand under the back of the kid's heel and lifts it maybe two inches. The kid then declares himself OK and gives us an enthusiastic "Thanks!".

Was kind of taken by surprise by the whole thing and looking back, we probably shouldn't have touched the kid, but it definitely gets filed under 'things that don't happen to you everyday'.

Only time I was near a melee was at a youth game in an urban setting. A fight broke out at halftime in the crowd and people were running on the field to get to the other sideline where it had broken out. We were standing in the middle of the field and getting nervous - clubs were being used and brandished by others running towards the fight. We assessed where each of us were parked and formulated a plan of escape should we need it to the closest car.