View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Wow, already 2 responses. I can tell this is a lively place.

Thanks to both folks (Mr's(?) Redhouse and Jenkins) who had taken the time and replied thus far.

I am really more interested in its application in a game situation, as opposed to its literal definition by the NCAA. I guess I was vague in my initial post.

Since I have a willing and informed audience to field questions.... here are a couple more.

I often hear announcers on TV games speak of "advantage"... I dont understand this concept and application of the term here. Are they talking about something real or is that a myth?

As example -- Player X might be bringing the ball across halfcourt unguarded, and what would appear to the layman, to be carry or palming violation (some folks would say thats a nasty crossover dribble) is not called. Then the announcer would say something to the effect that there was "no advantage" there and thusly no call made. I would argure that a no call in that case rewards poor fundamentals. Indeed, I would say that NOT making that call in that case hurts the game and provides an advantage to the team that gets the benefit of the no call.

Screens.. whats to really stop a defender? Suppose that a fellow built like a fullback just slams the screener into the shooter to disrupt the shot. That does a bunch of things.. the intimidation factor, makes the screener less willing to step in, possible injury. What would be the ref'ing communitys' reaction to this type of physicality?

Game management.. During TV games, it always seems that after a foul is called, a commercial comes. Are those breaks choreographed in advance by the TV production crew? In other words, is there any pressure on the ref'ing community to MAKE breaks in the action to support the commercials of a televised game? And conversely, Could a coach save a foul on a player, by calling a timeout himself? Is this a real aspect of game management or am I trying too hard to see something that isnt there?

thanks in advance