View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 01:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: and this was written by a Black man

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Whether you agree or disagree with the writer's expressed views. I believe that it should also be noted for those on this forum who may not be aware that Jason Whitlock is Black.
Just pure information. Nothing else is intended by my stating that fact.
I already knew that. His race does not make what he says any less right. He has been on ESPN Sports Reporters for years and usually he says some strange things on that program if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
I should clarify what I said. I didn't mean to say that he shouldn't mention race in a newspaper article. I was simply saying that he tends to make many things into a racial issue, and I don't agree with him. Not everything in the world is white vs. black, and to define everything that way, as he has a history of doing, is narrow-minded.
Well I cannot address previous articles I have never read. But I will say this. To many Black people in this country, many things do divide along those lines. Maybe you do not have to face it, but many do. At it is not narrow minded to point those things out. I know race plays apart in many situations I am in, I just do not tell everyone what I am thinking when it comes to those. Or better yet, the mostly white people that I come in contact with.

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
And I agree with you that as far as this incident goes, it didn't matter if the fans were black instead of white or the players white instead of black.
That is not what I said. I said that this issue has nothing to do with the Hip Hop Generation and why the fight came about. I did not say there could have not been issues related to race for the reasoning for the fight. I do not know I was not there. But there are many that feel the attitudes toward athletes have many times a racial undertone to it and the way the criticism are given out. I know it shows up at the HS and college level. I hear comments from the stand and see the attitude people take towards players that are not on their team or from their communities. But again, that is not what I was saying. This would have happen regardless of what race someone was if they threw a bottle of beer.

Peace