View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 02:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by IAABO_Ref
IAABO now has the trail covering the far side line free throw line and above in the front court. Does the NFHS manual have the same machinic?

There is no such animal as IAABO mechanics. IAABO is a basketball officials association whose main goal is the education of basketball officials.

If you look at your IAABO High School Handbook, you will see that the officials' manual that is contained it, is the NFHS Officials' Manual. Having said that, I am not sure what you mean by the Trail covering the far sideline. Could you please give us some examples? Thanks.

MTD, Sr.
It's a Wisconsin thing, I think -- not sure if RefMag is the cause of it, but RefMag is published in the Milwaukee area.

MTD -- the mechanic is that the trail (in 2-whistle) whistles and calls all the OOB call in his primary -- any ball that goes OOB above the free throw line extended on the opposite side of the court gets whistled and called by the trail official.

This mechanic is terrible, IMO.

(1) What if the ball goes out near the FT line? Will both officials call it? Or look at each other? Or, or, or....

(2) What if the ball is slowly, slowly rolling towards the OOB line between the FTLE and the division line? How can the trail tell if it is really out of bounds or not?

(3) Don't officials have peripheral vision? This mechanic seems to stress that an official wouldn't see a ball going out of bounds if it isn't in his primary -- but you have to have AWARENESS of where the ball is. If you don't know who's responsible, blow the whistle, stop the clock, and look to your trail partner for help. Gee, that's what we've always done.

I live in Wisconsin, but my regular partner and I are not from here so this mechanic is not used and seems quite foreign to me.

YMMV.

But this is one place I'm thrilled the NFHS manual sees it my way

--Rich