View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

blindzebra-

you're right. i did learn from cowboy. what i learned is that 90% of the guys i have met officiating (and girls) are super cool and everyone works together and no one ball hogs. but no need to be a dick back to him. just do my job. maybe talk to him at half time (had this been a real game). but i also saw how the senior guys looked at this guy. they said he was a spaz and was reaching way into other people's areas and trying to dominate the game. the senior guys were really talking about it.

contrast that to this younger guy who had just moved from california. he only had 3 years experience but he was sharp. even a total new guy like me could see it. and all the senior guys who were talking about cowboy were also talking about this guy--how sharp he was, how good he looked, how well he communicated. all the senior guys were pointing to him as an example. they told me something interresting, they said "see that guy. his mechanics are awesome. that is why mechanics are so important, because fans and coaches might not recognize sloppy mechanics, but good mechanics impress even non-officials (and he was right, because even a new guy like me was saying "wow this dude is in control of this game")" and then they said "he could be a real average official as far as the calls he makes, but his mechanics make him a real good one." they then went on to explain that the kid also made real good calls ("quality calls" as they called it).

so i noticed two things: 1. the senior guys definately are watching, and 2. i'd rather be talked about as a guy who is sharp than like cowboy who was a spaz and was reaching.

and to the credit of the senior guys, I saw the most senior guy go to cowboy and be real cool to him. they said "slow it down a bit, you are trying a bit too hard, you can call the game, just relax a bit and trust your partners (it was 3 man) to make their calls."

so they didnt just knife him in the back, they actually went to him and tried to help him.

clark