View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

My second scrimmage (on saturday) was an improvement. I felt I picked up where I left off. My "field of vision" wasnt great, but it was where it was by the end of the first scrimmage.

I got lucky and got a real good crew of guys for this scrimmage and a senior observer who was real dialed in to what newbies need. He was real encouraging and super cool. We had 6 newbies so he platooned us in groups of two and rotated a new person in every 5 minutes. It was the same as yesterday, 4 10 minute quarters with a running clock. Then he talked with the guy he rotated out and said what he saw and what to work on.

I got lucky in that I worked the varsity game (we did 2 man because of the number of newbies, basically all newbies--6 did the varsity game and 6 did the freshman vs. JV game).

The varsity game was, to me, way easier to call than that freshman game. The freshman game was barely controlled chaos with players that werent in good position and hands where everywhere. The varsity game the skill level was way better, the defense was better, the position was better, it was way easier to see the contact for me. Does everyone else see it that way, or am I just being a newbie and not seeing the important stuff in the frosh games?

I blew the hell out of a call, but I got past it. I didnt dwell on it. I cant believe I did this. I called a foul on what appeared to be a shot attempt. But I got so fixated on persons and numbers that I frankly had no clue if he shot or passed. I looked to my partner for help, but I should hve that. He gave me 2 fingers, so I went and reported a shooting fowl, shooting 2. The blank look I got at the bench and from the players pretty much told me I tanked it. But I just kept on going. "white 32 on the arm, shooting 2" and went and took trail. It wasnt fair to look to my buddy, all he was doing was looking at me (he was another newbie) It wasnt cool of me to have him make the call for me on shooting or not. If I didnt see it I should have just called it on the floor. But my partner was cool. He spotted that I was in a jam, he made something up and I went with it. But when we were both of the floor he told me he didnt know what I needed from him. I think we both learned something. But it was my mistake that started it.

And I wasnt always getting my fist/hand up right with my whistle. But I would realize that and get it up a second later. I still find I go too fast when I am moving. I need to slow it down a notch and make sure I look slow on the court--relaxed and in control.

I got some nice words from the senior guy who was there reviewing us. He said I had a strong whistle and made quality calls. He pulled me aside and said he liked that, that most new guys call the silly stuff and let the big stuff slide. He said I saw the calls that needed to be made and got them in my area. Frankly, I think I was just luky that a few clear calls happened in my area.

I also felt good about how I communicated with my partner ("we got two shots, Dave") and getting to the table to report. I blew a travel call right in front of me. I whistled to end a quarter and signaled no shot (it was obvious) when I was lead and should have left that to my partner (I did it instinctively, the shot was under the basket and I had the look at it, but it still isnt my call, but I whistled it anyway cause my brain and my mouth arent totally working together yet ).

The supervisor asked me how I felt. I said I loved it. He said "I think you are ready to work one for real." That made me feel good. I know he doesnt mean I did everything right, I certainly didnt. I cant see doing stuff right even 90% of the time until I get a whole slew of games under my belt. I think I am going to volunteer for some weekend rec games just to get more time blowing the whistle. But it was nice to hear that, with a solid partner, he would feel comfortable putting me out there live (of course he could be saying that just to build me up and help me out, but I prefer to believe that he really means it )

He told me the two things he wanted me two work on where the things I noticed too: arm up with the whistle and slow it down a step. So those will be my next two things.

We have a meeting tomorrow and I think we will be able to sign up for more scrimmages before the games start for real.

Our assigner has a policy that guys who work scrimmages get first shots at real games so I want as many scrimmages as I can get--both to improve and to get some real games.

As a trial lawyer, I train our younger attorneys. There is no true substitute for trying cases. We can do mock cases all we want but until the bullets are flying and it counts for real, the experience isnt the same. It seems to be the same with officiating (and many other things in life). I cant wait to call some real games.

Another cool thing we did in the scrimmage was situational scrimmaging. They would put 10 seconds on the clock with one team down by 2, send a guy to the line for 1&1 and then play out the end of the game. Then they did some 4 seconds left end of game plays with throw ins and length of court stuff and quick time out or quick foul stuff. I am really glad I got to be in for soem of that. Awareness seems crucial. Knowing to expect a quick timeout so you can blow the whistle. Know to look for the long pass and crazy out of bounds situations. That was really useful.

Clark