View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Black is also pushing a fast-track tier for former university and CFL players who'd like to get into officiating, similar to what the NHL instituted a few years ago.

Former Ticat Paul Bennett, a Hall of Fame safety, wanted to get into officiating after his playing days, but Black recalls that his local (Winnipeg) association absurdly insisted he'd have to start by handling the youngest minor-league games and slowly working his way. He had neither the time nor the inclination for that.

"We need those people who have an innate sense of the game, and an intuition and experience with the game. We can teach them the rules and techniques," Black says.

"If they're interested in coming into officiating I'd love to develop a training program, and then accelerate them into the game. It will help the local programs because it gives them more top quality people.

Does anyone else think it's aburd to expect rookie officials to work minor football?? I know that's where I started, and I'm guessing that where most of you guys started.

My big question is should former players be fast tracked through the officiating levels??

My answer is no. I have never played football in my life, and I have a goal of someday reaching it to the professional leagues. But it really doesn't make me feel good about my chances if they're gonna pick someone over me just because they were a player at one point.