View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
I see your point as well about 3.4.3a, but what about a month or so ago when there was an interception, and a foul so the play was replayed. It was hashed out by us on this or McGriffs board and almost all said the COP did not stop the clock, cuz it did not stand after the penalty, so start on the RFP. How is this different? Yes, the FC did originally stop the clock, but cuz of the fouls, this seems like the interception play. [/B]
I don't know if this will help you understand, but I look at it this way. COPS don’t stop the clock. The fouls nor the assessment of them in this play didn’t stop the clock The fair catch stopped the clock. NF 3-4-2 lists reasons for starting on the ready. And way down at 3-4-2b3 it says to start on the ready if.” The action, which caused the down to end, did not also cause the clock to be stopped.” Well the particular action that caused this down to end did cause the clock to be stopped. Just like if the team had scored or tossed an incomplete pass or the play ended OOB but then ended up having to replay the down. We’d start on the snap because that was the action that stopped the clock.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I just re-read 3-4-4 again (the clock shall be stopped when) and it does not say to stop the clock on COP. If that is the case, why do we stop the clock if B recovers a fumble, or intercepts a pass. We do it all the time. If B intercepts, and stays IB's we still stop the clock. I don't have time right now to look and find it in the book, but it must be there. We all know it is an appropriate time to stop the clock, but where is it?