Thread: Question # 25
View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a newbie so my answer is far from authoritative, but I put True. Refer to Rule 8-1-1:

"When a free throw is awarded, the ball shall be placed at the disposal of the free thrower (bounced) by the administrating official and the free throw count shall begin."

So the rule says, point blank, that the ball is to be bounced and when it is bounced it is at his disposal and the count shall begin.

Of course, this is supported by 8.1.1 in the Case Book as you mention. And in fact the case book seems to support the distinction between dispsal and catch when it notes:

"On freethrows the word 'disposal' is interpreted to mean that the official shall bounce the ball to the freethrower, but if the free thrower refuses to accept it, the official may place the ball on the floor at the free-throw line and begin the count. This procedure constitutes putting the ball at the free-thrower's disposal. However, in this situation, the ball becomes live when it is caught by the free thrower."

This of course makes sense that it is at the bounce not at the catch that it is at his disposal since there are other instances (such as after a made basket) where "disposal" begins before the player actually has it in his or her hot little hands.

Unless I am reading this wrong And I am a newbie so that is possible

Clark

[Edited by totalnewbie on Nov 19th, 2004 at 01:46 PM]