View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Let’s just make a simple statement about when the LBR is in effect. Many people want to believe that the LBR is in effect when the runner is off the base and the pitcher holds the ball in the circle. Or when the B-R has passed 1B and the pitcher holds the ball in the circle.

That is not true. That simply establishes the conditions under which the LBR can be put into effect. The LBR comes into effect ONLY after a runner has stopped! Stopped at a base, or stopped between bases. Even though the pre-requisite conditions have been met, if the runner has not stopped there can be no LBR violation. They only way to get an out is to tag the runner while off the base.

OK, so what does that have to do with your question?

Tom: “I guess I am a bit mystified about how this becomes an issue that needs to be addressed. The judgment as to when F1 transitions from fielder to pitcher (for purposes of the LBR) does not seem that hard to me.”

I agree, it’s not hard. I believe the POE is simply telling us not to invoke the LBR when the pitcher is fielding a batted ball. At that instant F1 is just a fielder and a runner should be allowed to leave a base. It is no different than if the shortstop held the ball in the circle.

The problem is that one gets lost when trying to answer the “when is a pitcher a pitcher again” question. That is not the right question. The only valid issue is WHEN can you invoke the LBR? And that is after the following pre-requisites are met:

1. F1 (as show on the line-up card) has the ball.
2. F1 is in the circle
3. B-R has passed 1B

Then LBR can be invoked WHEN a runner stops. When the pitcher fields the ball and holds the ball – any runner going to a base can go there, but if they stop at the base they cannot leave. When the pitcher fields the ball and holds the ball – any runner going to a base can stop, but then must decided and go, or be called out.

It’s simple when we remember that the LBR can only be invoked when a runner stops. The other conditions are just pre-requisites to be able to invoke the LBR.

BTW – softball rules do not define the verb “field.” But Webster says it is to catch or pick-up a batted ball. So I agree with you Tom that a pitcher is still a pitcher when receiving a thrown ball from any defender. She is only a fielder when she fields a batted ball.

WMB