View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 07:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by xxssmen
Player A1 has the ball above the key,while playerA2 is running the baseline to get open he/she steps out of bounds to avoid the screen and comes back in play to recieve a pass for a 3point shot which is good.

So my question is, knowing that it's a "T" on Player A2 for leaving the playing court by the rule book and I was the lead official and chose not to call a "T" on Player A2 for going out of bounds because I felt there was no advantage to it. Now if Player A2 miss the shot my guess was corect about the advantage/disadvantage no harm done plays continued on. Since PlayerA2 made the shot, now I felt I need to apply the rule in this situation. How do you make this call if your the lead official?

A) close game with less than a min. to play, do I apply the rule and "T" player2 and have the fans and coaches down my throat or let the play go?

B Call a out of bound Violation and reward team B the ball and explain to Team A why I called it out of bounds. And if team B coach knows the rule what if he ask "if its an out of bound violation" than why he did not recieved a "T" if that is clearly the rule for leaving the playing court.
You're basing your whole thought process on a faulty assumption. The advantage that A2 is getting on this play is illegally going OOB to attain an open,unguarded shot. Whether the shot is actually made or not is irrelevant to the advantage that you are giving to team A. If A2 didn't go OOB, the defense may not have let him subsequently be in position to get the pass and then shoot.If you're gonna call the "T" in this sitch, you have to call it when A2 gets the pass after coming back in-bounds. That's a judgement call by you. Personally, depending on the score and time left, I'd call it if a made shot could be a factor in a team winning or losing the game. If there wasn't much of an advantage gained or the play didn't really impact the outcome, I'd probably just quietly warn A2 to stay in-bounds.

You can't call a violation instead just because you don't like the penalty for a player being illegally OOB. We don't get to make up the rules- we just decide whether we're gonna apply them or not in some situations.

Btw, if the fans or coaches are gonna be down your throat should never be a factor in deciding whether or not to make a call either.

But, hey, what do I know,eh Tomegun?

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Nov 18th, 2004 at 08:03 AM]