View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Player A1 has the ball above the key,while playerA2 is running the baseline to get open he/she steps out of bounds to avoid the screen and comes back in play to recieve a pass for a 3point shot which is good.

So my question is, knowing that it's a "T" on Player A2 for leaving the playing court by the rule book and I was the lead official and chose not to call a "T" on Player A2 for going out of bounds because I felt there was no advantage to it. Now if Player A2 miss the shot my guess was corect about the advantage/disadvantage no harm done plays continued on. Since PlayerA2 made the shot, now I felt I need to apply the rule in this situation. How do you make this call if your the lead official?

A) close game with less than a min. to play, do I apply the rule and "T" player2 and have the fans and coaches down my throat or let the play go?

B Call a out of bound Violation and reward team B the ball and explain to Team A why I called it out of bounds. And if team B coach knows the rule what if he ask "if its an out of bound violation" than why he did not recieved a "T" if that is clearly the rule for leaving the playing court.