Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
If they don't have 5 players, we don't play.
Would you still expect to get paid for that game?
I guess you could argue that you held up your end of the bargain by showing up...so should the players.

I officiated in Rec leagues earlier in my career (and played) and I was often times disgusted with officials who wouldn't officiate a game for us because we didn't have enough players show up...even when the other team offered some of their players to "even it up".

The officials got paid, whether there was a game or not. Since there were 3 games a night...we might be the middle game...so the officials would have to sit there and wait for the 3rd game anyway...why not help the guys out (who paid money to get into the league) and officiate.

Some officials did officiate in those situations...some did not.
I did officiate...but then I am a player and understand how much the guys just wanted to play.
When I say "...we don't play," I'm saying that the rec league rules here don't allow us to play the game if both teams don't have 5. It's not my decision. And no, if we have a forfeit and they still want to play, we don't officiate it. Something happens, we're not covered by insurance or backed by the recreation dept.

So they can play but it's a forfeit and we don't officiate.
I guess we run things a little looser out here in the West.
Our Rec Dept. said it was up to the officials if they wanted to officiate the forfeited game.
The gym time was already paid for...the officials are getting paid...so I would guess the insurance issues wouldn't (or shouldn't) matter just because the teams switched a few dues paying members around.

BTW, our Rec Dept. allowed the games to be started as long as a team had at least 4 players.

[Edited by RookieDude on Nov 17th, 2004 at 11:46 PM]
Richland, WA