View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

I will try to offer what I can to help you in the future. I have also officiated mens rec leagues, kids leagues, and HS. I have found that in a lot of the kids leagues and adult leagues the officiating can be a lot more relaxed than when you are calling a HS or above game. There is not anyone evaluating your performance and very often you are not even paid for your service as it is in your case. Personally I never did enjoy mens rec leagues because I basically had to do to much babysitting and explaining the rules to coaches and players that seemed to not care too much anyway.

Typically in a rec league you are not going to have to many officials that have a pre-game routine, just toss the ball and go. What I will suggest to you for the future if you want to use this opportunity as a learning experience is talk with one of the members of your asociation that you look up to or know is a good official and either ask them to come and call a game with you or if they would come observe you for a game and critic your performance.

If that is not possible, while you are calling with this other official and things happen just say to yourself what you would normally do in that circumstance, whether it be switch or call a foul. I hope this helps a little and good luck in your season.