Thread: Goaltending
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 07:44am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BamaRef

A short time later, I was near the score table. Seated there, was a coach of a local sophomore team. He explained to me that even though all four officials that he had asked had agread that the play was legal, I was wrong because his friend, our arbiter, said the play was illegal. My question is this: Are the coaches in your areas required to take tests concerning basketball rules, or are they just like ours, create the rules when they need to? We all know it is hard to reason with a coach who does know the rules, let alone one who doesn't.

What do you guys say?
Good call, Bama.

As for the coach, I've found that the better ones are usually fairly rules-knowledgeable. It's to their benefit to be so; there are situations that do come up where they can use the rules to their advantage.When you get a coach like the one that you had, you give an explanation if they ask for one- and then walk away because it's just a waste of your time trying to convince him that you were right. You won't be able to- he already knows everything. Not worth worrying about.