Thread: Goaltending
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

I had this happen tonight. A1 is going in for a layup and shoots the ball against the backboard like we've all seen thousands of times. B1 who is running stride for stride with A1, jumps and blocks the shot after it hits the backboard but before the ball reaches it's apex and starts down. I have no call and play continues. Of course team A is screaming for a goaltend while team B continues to play. Later I explained to team A that goaltending occurs when the ball is on it's downward flight or a blocked free throw attempt, basket interference has to do with the ball being in or above the cylinder and other factors, and that the play didn't constitute either one.

A short time later, I was near the score table. Seated there, was a coach of a local sophomore team. He explained to me that even though all four officials that he had asked had agread that the play was legal, I was wrong because his friend, our arbiter, said the play was illegal. My question is this: Are the coaches in your areas required to take tests concerning basketball rules, or are they just like ours, create the rules when they need to? We all know it is hard to reason with a coach who does know the rules, let alone one who doesn't.

What do you guys say?