View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 14, 2001, 08:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation the truth about Dave

Strange as it may sound, Dave is both a real person and a composite. I first worked with Dave about 11 years ago in a rec league. We used to try to top each other with how sarcastic we could get with coaches and still get away with it. Over the years, I worked with him off and on and we still tried to do this. As other refs made remarks, I would think along the lines of having to remember that remark so I could top Dave next time. Eventually, all the other refs who did this "became" Dave, because I always thought of the "one-upsmanship" contest to be between me and him. When I started posting, it was all from the real Dave. After a while, it seemed that everyone was so much looking forward to his next remark, I just decided to post all the remarks I heard as if they came from one guy. I guess I was holding up the remarks to the standards set by Dave and me and if the remark was of that high a level, I just called it a "Dave".

I'll try to post from time to time, but since my participation level is now much lower, I know I won't have the same presence and visibility as before.

One project I am working on, however, is to try to bring the NASO convention in two years to Portland. Bob Still of NASO contacted me about that possibility and I have put the wheels in motion with the Convention and Visitor's Bureau. We would hope to bring the convention here during our annual Rose Festival and maybe we could stage a basketball tournament of some kind with the help of the Trailblazers and Nike. There is a local sports authority that tries to bring sports related events to Portland and they are going to help also. So - maybe I'll see some of you in person someday.

As to those of you who have contacted me and asked why I am finally retiring, here's the short answer. I'm getting too old to do 300+ games a year. Even 200 or 100. I have had some medical problems and my body just can't take it anymore. Combine that with the increased level of crap and abuse from parents and that's the answer.

I invested in a treadmill, but it's not the same. Oh well - we all get old someday.