View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Too high!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by djskinn
...a good straight toss. Partner blows the whistle as the ball is coming down and says “re-toss.” ... he said the ball was thrown to high. ... at a height greater than either of the two jumpers could reach by my estimate.

Any opinions as to how high is too high or does anyone have a rule of thumb they follow?
Sounds like a great toss to me.

Check the mechanics manual. Paragraph 212.
"The correct height is slightly higher than either player can jump."

So much for veteran partners... call a toss back because it is too high... I would have laughed.

Honestly, many of the tosses we see today, in the NBA for sure, and quite often in the NCAA, are tapped before they reach the top (apogee for those scientific minds). That is a bad toss. The benefit does not go to the player that can jump the highest or that has the best timing (similar to a rebound). It goes to the jumper that can get his hand out there the fastest.

I feel your veteran partner was wrong.

I wouldn't change my toss. Top of the ball at about 12 feet is great - slightly higher perhaps for big guys.

Next time let him toss and blow his toss dead.... he can't argue with it. Blow it dead twice - that's real embarrassing. Tell him at half time, "Uuuhhh, you had the wrong spin on it."