View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 13, 2001, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sort of torn here.

While I agree the umpire routinely announces, loudly, that a run counts when it timing of the runner comes into play, there seems to be something wrong about him loudly announcing the run scores and then standing around the plate waiting for an appeal. After all, it isn't his job to put up a flare announcing something isn't finished. So far, everyone seems to be acting like he abused the poor little tikes in the field. What about the ones on offense? At this level, it is obviously a "coaching thing", cause the kids probably would have run off the infield anyhow since none of them are going to know about a 4th out appeal without a coach standing there directing them.

Just some thoughts here:

*At this age level, they should play seven and then head to McDonalds, Chuckie Cheese or whatever. Forget the score, it isn't important. And if it is, I don't want to be associated with that league.

*Instead of just shouting loudly, he should have turned toward both scorebooks and in a raised voice announce the run counts. When it comes right down to it, if they are going to worry about the score, the coach should be aware of what is happening on the field.

*Steve's reference to the exclusion of the IF at this age level must be local or something other than ASA. ASA notes no exclusions to the Infield Fly rule and for that matter, 10U is the youngest fastpitch age group recognized in the ASA rulebook.