View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 09:37am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwes68
Need help from our friends to the north:

Saw on SportsCenter about the B.C.-Sask. game that went to OT. I understand the whole concept of the single point on the kicks into the end zone, but what happened in that game just confounds me. The Roughriders missed a short field goal that would have won the game, but got a single and took a 25-24 lead in sudden-death OT. But apparently you can't win on a single. The Lions then went the length of the field and kicked a field goal to win 27-25.

How can you score a point and not win? If they had stopped B.C., would they have won then? Would another single win the game? Could a team miss three FGs, be up 3 points, have the other team make a kick to tie it and still lose?

(Note: I'm from Tennessee, and the extent of my Canadian football experience is one Memphis MadDogs game in 1995 when I was about 12 years old--the Liberty Bowl wasn't big enough for a full-size Canadian field, so they had end zones that were somewhat trapezoidal. Weird.)
Interesting question that I don't know the answer to -- but it was weird watching the end of the Bears-Titans game yesterday. As soon as that ball was fumbled in the endzone, I said, "game's over." I mean, it was either going to be a TD or a safety, and that was going to end it.

Wait, I looked up the CFL question -- their OT isn't sudden death -- each team gets a possession from the opponent's 35 yard line.

http://www.cfl.ca/CFLRulebook/rule_1.html

--Rich