View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 12, 2001, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Just a second Steve,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

I am not sure exactly why you are landing on 24 so hard for this issue.

Alderson has made it quite clear (in articles and interviews) that HE thinks the umpiring in the game needed some fine tuning.

From the beginning Sandy has made a concertrated effort to move the umpires into a more closely managed position. Since I have no idea whether this is right or wrong I look at it from the OUTSIDE with this view:

UMPIRES have been told that certain things are to change. UMPIRES see that MLB is serious (talk with any of the 22 still unemployed umpires)in this direction.

My opinion, and make sure you understand that it is MY opinion, is that Scott made a call exactly as his boss's required.
\

I am not coming down hard on 24, rather, I am pointing out that Scott made the decision to do what he thought was necessary. It was his decision, not Alderson's. I would hope any experienced umpire would realize there may be factors on the field (and off) that are not necessarily evident when watching from TV. If not, they should. For us to criticize Higgins or Alderson is out of our current realm. I feel relatively certain few of us know what occurred in Scott's mind, and to speculate is unfair.
I do know I am pleased to see the actions of Alderson support the decision Higgins made. It sure beats the reverse.

By the way, Tee, if I were coming down hard on 24 I would start ca-a-a-a-llin him names, like:
Twenty four
XXIV
Thirty minus 6
Square root of 576

As you can see, I took it easy on him wihout getting nasty. ;-)

Steve